Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Goals, Motivation and Inspiration…oh my!

Towards the end of the 2009 season, I started thinking about my next challenge, I wanted my training to contribute to something, I wanted more than a personal goal. Just about the same time, I read an article in a running magazine about Team in Training (TNT) and the light bulb went on, I decided I wanted to join TNT and raise $5000 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of Canada (LLSC).

The next decision I had to make was what event to train for…from my training and competitions in 2009 I felt that a half-marathon was well within reach…I didn’t think I could stay motivated training for something that was “too achievable” so I raised the bar an chose the Marathon, as my training progresses I am left wondering where the line between fear and motivation blurs.

My inspiration for all of this and what helps me keep my focus and dig in when every bit of me wants to turn around and head back to a nice warm house (especially this last week with at -31 C with windchill) is my very good friend Derek Threinen.

On March 4, 2009 Derek was diagnosed with Stage IV Hodgkin’s lymphoma.



I felt helpless on the sidelines being able to offer nothing more than moral support through Derek’s battle.

Derek remained positive throughout the entire treatment. He may have lost his hair, but he never lost his sense of humour in spite of difficult procedures and side effects. Anytime I start feeling like I’m having a rough day, I think of Derek’s fight and it’s easy to push on through.

All that positive thinking paid off, Derek has officially been in remission since October 1, 2009. Congrats DT, we knew you could do it!!

I am currently training to run my first marathon (42.2 km) in Ottawa on May 30, 2010 and I need your help…no not to run (although that is a definite possibility), but to contribute to finding a cure for leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma. I aim to raise at least $5,000 in honour of Derek by the end of May.

So how can you help me reach (or beat) my goal?

1. Sponsor me (a.k.a. show me the money)
a) The easiest way is to make a secure online donation at http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx?SID=2430646


b) You can also by donate by completing and mailing a donation form, touch base and I'll send you the form


2. Forward this message to everyone you know (or tag them on it in Facebook). Don’t assume that if we know the same person that I have their e-mail or have sent to them, I know you may get this in some format 12-20 times, but really it’s a small price to pay IMHO.


3. Help me find corporate sponsors; drop me an e-mail and I’ll let you know what’s involved.


4. Volunteer to help me with my fundraising activities and events, I need ideas and people to help with selling tickets etc…


5. Find out more at http://www.teamintraining.ca/ about how to take part as a fundraiser in your own event,


6. Show up and cheer me on along the Ottawa Marathon course on May 30, 2010, I’ll be the guy in the TNT purple shirt looking like he needs a shower and 2 days of sleep!


7. All of the above!!

If you’re interested in following my progress, I’ll be posting regular updates to my blog http://shmittysrunningblog.blogspot.com/ which has a direct RSS feed to my Facebook Notes, so if you’re a friend on FB you can just check there.

If you want to know more about my fundraising or if you want to help in someway I haven’t thought of, call me, follow me on Twitter, comment on my FB Wall, Notes, or status, write a comment on my fundraising page, or comment on my blog.

Together we can help find a cure!

Thank you all!!

Brent Smyth

No comments:

Post a Comment