Sunday, February 14, 2010

Tapering...the side effects

It’s been a while since my last post, it wasn’t entirely on purpose, but I was hesitant to post too soon after my last entry…especially given the overwhelmingly supportive response…I just didn’t want to mess with inertia and the momentum gained towards meeting my fundraising goal, with your help we’ve already raised almost $3300.00 towards finding a cure.

This last week I’ve been tapering leading into the Winterman ½ marathon on February 21. Simply explained, tapering is a reduction in the length of your runs and workouts leading up to a race, the benefit…a chance to recover and store more fuel in the tank for race day, there are lots of articles out there on tapering and tapering is very specific to each athlete and their unique training plan, in my case, it leads to lots of extra energy and a brain that goes into overdrive, for me it is as challenging to deal with the psychological effects as the physiological ones.

This week has been a prime example, I’m not sure that the training plan itself has demanded anymore of me in the last little while than it has since I started this trek back in the late fall, but my brain certainly recognized the effects much more this week. For the first time I felt my body might not be up to the challenge, my hip flexors have been getting gradually tighter and more inflamed, and the discomfort has become a constant, my left knee has become inflamed on a regular basis and I can feel the effects of the runs right up until I start the next run, and that nagging ankle sprain recovery just isn’t making much progress.

To be honest, I haven’t been doing much about any of these, accepting that they were par for the course and that with enough mileage and positive thinking, they’d take care of themselves, towards the end of this week as a result of the tapering side effects, I started doing something about each of these, appointments are set, a more regimented rehab program for the ankle is in place and I am confident that I can overcome these challenges.

Two things helped me to tackle these challenges with renewed vigour and remain positive, first I thought back to how Derek must have been feeling as he went through his treatments, and how he remained positive and confident that he would beat this throughout and secondly the words of encouragement that I have received from so many of you. I couldn’t quite put my finger on how it was that I was getting my daily dose of support, until I read one of my VTNT team mates’ blog, she reminded me that each time someone sponsors me online and nudges me closer to my goal, I get and e-mail alert…that daily dose of positive encouragement is what has been helping me keep going.

To all of you who have been able to offer your support so far, a huge thanks to for your contributions and the words of encouragement and support that you have passed along!!
And for those of you who may be interested in offering your support, here’s the link to my fundraising page http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx?SID=2430646

Stay tuned for more frequent blog updates and some fundraising event announcements too.

P.S. if you know a small business (or an individual/group) that would consider donating either items or services as a door prize for one of my future events, please get in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment